South Middle School is the public middle school in Aurora for students from every circumstance who have courage, grit, and determination.
As a community, we are diverse, inclusive, and noble-minded, and form a tight-knit community where students feel safe to be themselves and focus on learning.
Mehran Ahmed, Principal
Welcome. My name is Mehran Ahmed, and I am extremely honored to serve and lead the South Middle School Community. This will be my 14th year working in education and having the opportunity to serve the Aurora community. Over time I have developed the following core values; Respect, Trust, Service, and Humility. I have always believed all students should have equal access to engaging learning opportunities. I have a passion for students and a conviction to support all people grow in their respective roles.
I look forward to meeting everyone and connecting with our students this upcoming school year.
Preparing students to be ready to embrace life’s challenges as opportunities
South Strong Families,
Happy new year! I hope you had a restful three-week break and had a chance to re-energize yourself for Quarter 3. As we come back into Quarter 3 there will be many transitions that we will need your support as well as supporting your students in their academics.
First, the week of January 11th all students will be remote learning. You will be receiving a letter from us next week letting you know the designation of your student for the week of 1/19. This will be for the A group students to report to South Middle School.
All students will be following their Infinite Campus schedule if they are remote or in a hybrid learning model.
Second, health and safety of our students, staff and families is our top priority. Please partner with us by adhering to the following practices:
- All students must wear face masks while on the bus and at school. Please continue to practice mask wearing with your children at home.
- Keep your children home if they are sick. Check for symptoms every day by completing self assessments and always check your child’s temperature. If your child has a temperature of 100.0 F or higher, keep your child at home. Additional symptoms to look out for are a cough, sore throat, tiredness, nausea, loss of taste or smell and shortness of breath.
- If someone in your household tests positive for COVID-19, please keep your student at home for the quarantine period determined by your medical provider.
- Reinforce and teach frequent hand washing with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Make sure to provide your school with a current telephone number where you can be reached.
- Ensure that someone is available to pick up your children within an hour if they are showing symptoms.
- Report your child’s absence each day to the school including the reason for the absence and, if sick, please report illness symptoms on the attendance line.
- Also, please remind your children about social distancing. This means keeping several feet between themselves and others. I know some children may want to hug or high five others. Instead, please show your children how to give a friendly wave or thumbs up from a distance instead.
We know this has been challenging for everyone and we will keep an optimistic mindset as we move forward through the start of 2021. This is an opportunity for all of us to grow as people no matter if you are a student, parent, or educator.
Thank you so much for trusting us here at South with your student.
Mehran D. Ahmed
South Middle School